Internship Web 2.0 and Social Media for DevelopmentTitle: Intern Web 2.0 and Social Media Development
Starting date: August 2014
Duration: 6 months (renewable once)
Location: Wageningen, the Netherlands
Closing date for application: 30 May 2014
ABOUT CTAThe Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) is a joint international institution of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States and the European Union (EU). Its mission is to advance food and nutritional security, increase prosperity and encourage sound natural resource management in ACP countries. It facilitates access to information and knowledge; supports evidence-based, multi-stakeholder development of agricultural policies and strategies; promotes inclusive value chain development and use of ICTs and strengthens the capacities of agricultural and rural development institutions and communities.
CTA has an opening for an intern within the Policies, Markets and ICTs Programme.
BACKGROUND AND MAIN PURPOSE OF THE INTERNSHIPSince 2009 CTA has successfully implemented a series of training events known as Web 2.0 and Social Media Learning Opportunities in 35 ACP countries. This has resulted in approximately 3,000 trained people, 38% of whom women. Feedback from beneficiaries (individuals and institutions) has been extremely positive. In May 2013 the project was awarded the WSIS Project Prize 2013 in the category e-agriculture.
Each event lasts for 5 days and accommodates approximately 25-28 trainees who are selected on the basis of applications submitted after an open call. One day of the training is devoted to the introduction to the IMARK module ‘Social Media for Development’. This allows trainees to perfect their skills through self-learning. In 2014/2015, CTA will extend the initiative to additional ACP countries in partnership with local host institutions.
A CTA team coordinates the implementation of the project. The intern will work under the guidance of the project team leader (acting as mentor) and in collaboration with the other team members.
DUTIESUnder the guidance of his/her mentor, the intern will carry out the following activities:
- Assist in the organisation and follow-up of the Web 2.0 and Social Media Learning Opportunities.
- Interact and collaborate remotely with consultants, host organizations and beneficiaries using cutting edge technology.
- Assist in gathering and processing data for M&E purposes and for assessing project impact.
- Contribute to the analysis of the results of a planned impact assessment.
- Participate in updating the curriculum.
- Maintain the Web2fordev.net and pgis.cta.int web sites.
- Report on project activities via social media.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the mentor.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Recent graduate, 29 years old maximum.
- National of one of the ACP or EU States signatory to the Cotonou Agreement (79 African, Caribbean and Pacific States and the European Union Member States).
- University degree in ICT or communication-related disciplines.
- Experience and keen interest in the area of ICTs, Web 2.0 and Social Media.
- Knowledge in managing CMS (Joomla) is welcome.
- Good organization, inter-personal and communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of one of the Centre's two working languages (French or English) and a satisfactory knowledge of the other.
- Participation in CTA activities will give you an invaluable experience at international level.
- Internship stipend (€ 800 per month for holder of a Bachelor's degree, € 1,000 for holder of a Master's degree).
- Payment of travel costs when joining and leaving the Centre.
- Medical coverage for emergency cases of sickness and accident during the internship.
HOW TO APPLYInterested candidates are required to send the documents listed below via email to Pascal Deleu, Human Resources Officer. Email: email@example.com
Please indicate in the "Subject" of the email the title 'ICT4D and Web2forDev internship application'.
- A letter of motivation (maximum one page explaining why the candidate considers that he/she is in a position to successfully contribute to project implementation and what he/she expects to gain from the internship. The date of earliest availability should be specified as well);
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, preferably EUROPASS format;
- Copies of the highest diploma/degree as well as training certificates related to the position. Original documents are to be presented once a candidate is selected.
- Two letters of recommendation and/or references.
Imagining the future of Africa 2025If you are currently a student enrolled in an African university and are 21 to 29 years old,speak out on the future of Africa 2025: What does the future hold for the African continent? What are the possible scenarios? How will the future be different from the Africa that exists today?
Write a paper of 15 000 characters (with spaces). Submissions will be judged for both their analytical rigour and their quality of exposition and written expression. Your paper must be innovative and able to put forward positive proposals for the future of the African continent on three main issues:
- Economic challenges: What are the main determinants and engines for growth and are they likely to anchor a high potential growth rate for the short, medium and long term? How do you describe and analyse the economic transformation that is taking place?
- Environmental challenges:Is African growth sustainable? How to harness natural resources for structural transformation? How to combine sustainability with the demands of growth and urbanization in terms of access to energy and natural resources?
- Social and political challenges:How inclusive has growth been and how much does it also lead to a social and political transformation?How can we build a bridge between informality and formality and initiate the process of moving out of informality?
If you are selected, you will receive an invitation to join the GDN 15th Annual Global Development Conference and exchange your views with experts, researchers, policy-makers and economists from around the world.
50 selected students will be invited to attend to the Conference, on June 18-20, 2014 in Accra - Ghana (travel and accommodation paid by the organizers of the conference). Students will participate in a dedicated session the day before the Conference on June 17th, 2014.
- See more at: http://www.gdn.int/html/page2.php?MID=3&SID=24&SSID=24&SCID=29&SSCID=92#sthash.2OpXqv4n.7mlH0f4g.dpuf
The alpha version of the publication launched during ICT4Ag in November, after which a short film was made in western Kenya where the research was conducted to capture some of the research findings and statements in audio-visual format, thereby hopefully making the findings and encouragement palatable to a wider group of agric and value chain development stakeholders.
Virtual Conference on Youth Unemployment Empowering Nigerian Youths for Better Livelihoods 2014: Education, Entrepreneurship and Employment
The 3-week virtual conference aims to document the experiences of Nigerians who are either unemployed or under-employed. This e-forum is an opportunity for you to share your knowledge, experiences, professional development needs, ideas and suggestions which relates to youth unemployment in Nigeria. Participants will be encouraged to identify barriers they face in accessing employment opportunities and the role of government, schools, private sector, skills acquisition and entrepreneurial programs in Nigeria. Come and grow your network.
Like our LinkedIn page: http://linkd.in/1aVbgq9
Register to the e-forum: http://on.fb.me/MHXJXI